Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Camino De Santiago: Day 30--Castaneda to Pedrouzo

Day 30 and it's my last long day of walking! The next day is a moderate hike to Monto do Gozo, and from there its only a 5 km morning walk into Santiago! This thought had me skipping through the forest...(OK, maybe not quite! 27 km still makes for a long day, even if it's your last one!)





Unfortunately there were tons of "domingueros" (think weekend tourist-pilgrims) out and about. I got stuck behind a huge line of them chatting up a storm. Eventually I had to hit a higher gear and power past them when the path widened as they started driving me crazy.  

Outside of the tourists I walked most of the day by myself, but I did get the chance to take in some good company here and there as well--my retired Sevillan friends (of course! By this point we just resigned ourselves to the fact that we weren't getting rid of each other!), the young Sevillan girl I met under the tree a couple days before, and a pair of girls from Valencia who I'd had dinner of paella and gazpacho with a few days before. 

I also ran back into a group of sisters and their mother I met in Saria. They were just walking the last 100 kilometers of the Camino, and, on their first day, I think I scared them a bit with my talk of blisters and painkillers. The most memorable thing about them though was their backpacks--they were HUGE! One of the daughters told me she brought four books with her. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't even brought a hairbrush with me out of consideration of pack weight!


More old stone churches


More green tree tunnels 

And more rain! All day it went back and forth between sunny and rainy--which is almost worse than pure rain. Wearing the rain gear in the sun was like wearing a trash bag--hot and sweaty--so I was constantly having to stop and put it on and take it off. 

More Gallego cows! (They walked even slower than the domigueros!)


Mid morning I stopped at a little cafe for Galician empanada--this particular one had fish and caramelized onions in a tomato sauce, mmm! Turns out that the cafe's claim to fame is that the Bush daughters stopped here when they were going through the region. Random. 

TWENTY KILOMETERS TO GO!

Who's excited?!



This is taken out the window of our hostel. It turned out to be a quite long day. Once I got into town I had to walk and walk and walk to find my hostel. It seems I always picked the furthest one possible. 

It turned out to be a great albergue though. Clean sheets! Pillows! They had a whole stack of blankets! (After 2 municipal/Xunta hostels we changed our strategy and started sleeping in the private pilgrim hostels!)

I ate at a cafe up on the main road, watching the rain and the pilgrims, and restocking my energy to make it to Monto de Gozo--where hopefully I'd be able to spot the Cathedral of Santiago in the distance--the next day. 


No comments: