Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Procrastination

I've been studying GRE math for many hours over the last couple of days. But now I have had three large mugs of coffee. And I'm sitting in a cafe with wifi.

I'm in the mood to procrastinate! So here you go. Some unrelated things I feel the need to say (mostly because the coffee has removed my filter):

You know where I would be today if I could be anywhere?

Cyprus. 

Maybe here:

{Agia Napa}

Or here:
{Turkish side of Nicosia}

I don't know why, but it looks good, no?

Also, to kill even more time in useless pursuits I was looking through the travel/places section on Pinterest (Don't ever do this. You will waste so much time.). I saw a picture of the Trevi Fountain in Rome. It made me laugh thinking about how I am likely the only person to throw a penny into the fountain (to ensure that you will one day return) and...miss. Yeah. I missed. What, you don't know about that?

Here's what happened:


It was raining. And I had an umbrella. The penny went right up into the umbrella and bounced down right behind me, somehow missing the fountain. 

Fail. 

Which is why I haven't been back to Rome. C'est ma vie.

The End. 

(Didn't you like that story?)

(OK, now back to work.)

(But seriously. GRE math is hard! My eyes are already about to cross, and I keep rereading this paragraph: 

Many more difficult probability questions involve finding the probability that several events occur....The probability that both events occur is the probability that event A occurs multiplied by the probability that event B occurs given that event A occured. The probability that B occurs given that A occurs is called the conditional probability that B occurs given that A occurs. Except when events A and B do not depend on one another, the probability that B occurs given that A occurs is not the same as the probability that B occurs. The probability that three events A, B, and C occur is the probability that A occurs multiplied by the conditional probability that B occurs given that A occurred multiplied by the conditional probability that C occurs given that both A and B have occurred.

I mean, is it just me, or are they just saying occur and probability as many times as possible?)


No comments: