Monday, April 9, 2012

Dusting

I'm not talking spring cleaning, I'm talking about dusting off the old backpack to hit the road again! I know, I know. I said I wasn't going anywhere in 2012, especially anywhere long distance, and I believed it. But...I guess I was wrong. (What a pleasant surprise!)

{Photo from here}

I leave next Thursday to head to Asia. (This is coming as a surprise to me, too.) My good friend Supy, from the year I lived in Spain, has been living and traveling in the Pacific for a while now. He's been trying to get me to join him for years now, but it's just been so far and so expensive that I haven't done it. Recently he told me he was going to Thailand (where his family is from) for a while. The idea of finally seeing Thailand (and with a good friend who speaks Thai!) and the fact that American Airlines is running a promotion with their frequent flyer miles program (only 40,000 miles roundtrip!) was too good to pass up. Not to mention my parents (of all people), insisted that I go. 

Bangkok {From here}

All it took was a couple of phone calls, an email or two, and I'm set to go. I'll fly direct to Tokyo (I didn't even know there was a direct flight from DFW to Tokyo!), spend the night, and then head to Bangkok. From there we'll see some of the country and maybe head to any combination of Cambodia, Laos and/or Vietnam. 

Ankor Wat {Photo from here}

So, basically, as much as I am attempting to become a stable, grounded, productive member of our society...well, I'm failing. The road is calling! 


No comments: