Saturday, December 11, 2010

Free At Last, Free At Last

This morning I got a text early and panicked thinking it was my alarm. I get a bit antsy because I have a habit of only oversleeping things...when they are vital. Final exams, trains, you get the picture. But I won't lie, once I was up I was too excited to go back to sleep. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. 

Why?

Today was graduation day!!!!!!!!! (As an aside: I have been trying to lay off my addiction to exclamation marks, but when it comes to graduation, they all seem merited!)

This is my third graduation (after high school and undergrad) and I was really thinking it wouldn't be much of a big deal. I even debated, when organizing things for Brussels, over whether I should come all the way back in time to graduate. I figured, if you have graduated once, you don't have any new excitement to look forward to. 

Boy was I wrong. Third time must be a charm, because I was so much more excited about this graduation than either of the others. I got there an hour early and got to see and catch up with some of my favorite Logsdon people. And I won't lie. I was getting a bit cocky. I looked over at the undergrads, having been in their position 3 years ago, and at the others graduating with grad degrees much shorter than the grueling 90 hour Masters of Divinity degree and felt that we somehow deserved our degrees so much more than everyone there. 

Three years people! I could build a moderately sized log cabin with all of the books I have read. I have written more papers than probably 100 average people write in their entire lives. I can (and do) use words like concretize, cogent and hermeneutical in everyday sentences. And I've drunk enough coffee to fill up Lake Superior.

Today has been a long time coming. 

Overall it was fantastic. I got to sit next to one of my favorite feminist friends during the commencement, the speech was good (and brief!), and I couldn't wipe the perma-grin off of my face throughout. My parents and lots of my lovely friends were there to share the moment with me, and I got the chance to say a final thank you to so many of the professors who have tortured taught me so much over the last 3 years. What I thought would never come, did in fact come. And, what I always generally assumed was an oncoming train, turned out to be the light at the end of the tunnel after all. 

And, let me tell you, I am enjoying being in the light!

The Lowden Ladies

No comments: