Monday, January 31, 2011

Week In Review Sabbatical Style: Week 2

OK, I haven't had internet for a while, and only have a few minutes, but I know you've all been curious, so a quick week in review!

  • I've been in Monteverde for the last few days--beautiful, but actually kind of cold!
  • I spotted a White Throated Capuchin (a white faced monkey) when I was hiking in the cloud forest yesterday! All by myself!
  • I think I have learned more taking tours and walking around in the forests here for the last 3 or 4 days than I did in entire years of biology classes I took. 
  • I also saw almost a dozen Coati (super cute little racoon looking things), and all kinds of fun humming birds. Just a few: the violet sabrewering, the purple headed mountain gem, and a copper headed ninny muggin. 
  • This afternoon I am taking a 4.5 hour bus back to San Jose. From there I'll board a bus to Panama City. 16 hours on that one. Ouch. 
  • It seems maybe my luck is changing: I got the very last seat available on that Panama bus. Whew. 
  • The super strong Off spray I bought is eating tiny holes in my watch. Makes you wonder what it's doing to your skin...It's also so humid that my watch is fogging over from the inside. It might not make it to Nicaragua. 
  • Spanish update: The Spanish is for the most part coming back. I still find myself using random French words or adding French endings to my Spanish words. Most people seem to be at least moderately impressed though (I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that most all the tourists here don't know much more than "hola.")
  • Most common question though: Where did you learn Spanish? That's right, I've dropped the lisp, but the accent/vocabulary is still giving my Spain Spanish away. 
  • Costa Ricans love to spice up there budget hotels by folding everything they can into little shapes. 
  • In La Fortuna I stumbled upon a little ice cream shop. I ended up with Dulce de leche and Pitahaya (cactus fruit sorbet--that was BRIGHT purple). Yummy!
OK, computer's about to die so I'm putting this up right away! Pictures to come when I get to Panama!




No comments: