Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ready, Set...


I made it to Pamplona. It was another one of those taxi/bus/plane/train/bus/bus/walk-for-2-hours kind of trips to make it here, but here I am. And as you can see from the picture, I've walked my first bit of the Camino! OK...so maybe it was just from the bus station to the hostel, but it was a good feeling.

The plan was to get to Pamplona, spend today running errands and then start walking tomorrow. But, yet again, I hadn't calculated what day of the week it was. Trying to run errands on Sunday in Spain is pointless. Everything is closed. So I'll just start a day later.

In what was probably a better idea anyway, I spent the day resting. I had forgotten about one of my very favorite things about Spain--what I call "black-out blinds."They clamp out every smidge of light so that you feel like you are sleeping in a cave. I finally got a good nights rest and still woke up in time to walk to church--I found the sister church of my church in Santander. I met all kinds of great people and just generally had a wonderful morning. It seemed like a proper send off for my pilgrimage.

Throw in some sightseeing (I never knew what a beautiful city Pamplona is!) and some chocolate y churros (oh yeah!) and that about wraps up my day. I'm planning and packing and just generally getting excited (I forgot just how much I love Spain).

I'm also whittling down what few possessions I have with me. On my two hour trek through town trying to find my hostel with my luggage I affirmed my desire to take as little as possible with me on the Camino. And actually, that is part of why I want to do the Camino--to prove to myself that I don't need all of these things. (Although...I am sure I will still take more than I need...) Anyway, tomorrow I am marching myself to the post office and sending my stuff to Santiago to wait for me. How exciting!

OK, wish me luck in getting things done tomorrow and then Tuesday--I'm off!

3 comments:

C.C. Almon said...

My friend, you are such a brave woman. I cannot imagine traveling by myself to all the many places you have traveled. Every time I hear the quote, "Well behaved women seldom make history," I think of you! Much love and safe journey!
<3 C.C.

Sandy said...

You go girl! vaya con Dios

Sandy said...

PS Remember how the Spanish mail is...insure that package!