Sunday, October 17, 2010

Week In Review: Week 6


Another installment of my random snippets from the week:
  • Hary is back from Syria! He is tre gentil and brought me back some famous Syrian soap. It's the same recipe that some famous queen used and it smells really nice. It's a dark green color. The first time I used it, I washed my face with it, and after a moment looked down at my hands--they were brown! Panic! I was afraid that it was actually some kind of middle eastern self tanner and that I'd stained my face khaki green. Thankfully it all washed right off. Crisis averted.
  • When talking to my conversation students about food it came out that they all love Chinese food. For fun we thought we would hold our Thursday class in a local Chinese restaurant. Let's just say it wasn't quite a disaster.
  • I must be one of the most awkward people alive. I mean, I know I'm not the MOST awkward person, but I'm pretty sure I am somewhere toward the top of the list.
  • 8 weeks until I graduate.
  • It's in the 30s this week. Last night it fell bellow 32. Hello winter!
  • Friday I was asked if I was Romanian. Again, close but no.
  • Friday we also had the youth over for the evening. Afterwards we took a couple of the ids home and were invited in for tea. Along with the traditional nuts that go with tea they also brought out: pumpkin seeds, watermelon seeds, sunflower seeds, candy coated chickpeas, Syrian bread, olive oil and spices, 2 kinds of homemade cheeses (she even goes to the farm herself to get the milk!), tomatoes, cucumbers, 2 kinds of homemade cookies, apples, oranges and pomegranates. AND she also brought us out huge bowls of pasta.
  • All of this took place between 10:30-12:30 at night.
  • Yesterday I tried again, and 3rd time is a charm, made it inside the Laeken Cathedral. It was more impressive than I thought it would be, even though it's under renovation.
  • I also took the more direct route there, which took a whopping 9 minutes.
  • I felt like walking so I kept going towards the Royal Palace. I not only saw a race, but saw hoards of Chinese tourists visiting...the Chinese Tower. It was odd to me.
  • This week I also got my first taste of Antwerp. It's Flemish and much more orderly feeling than Brussels. Hary gave us a tour of the docks.
OK, that about does it. Week 6 is finished, on to week 7 here in Brussels. This coming week is my midpoint here! Picture of the soap below (I'll try to get some more up later):


No comments: