Thursday, June 23, 2011

Camino De Santiago: Day 11-Burgos to Hontanas

Sunday night I got back into Burgos, got checked in and then ventured out to find a bit of food before I went to sleep. I saw some crowds and heard some noise so I went to check it out. 


It wasn't the KKK, it was a Semana Santa (Easter week) procession! I won't lie, even though I know these costumes far predate the KKK, the whole thing is a bit eery to me. 

Except this little girl

This was the view from the hostel window

One of the funny things about taking a break was coming back and not knowing a single person that would be walking with me. Except I ran into someone. Someone that I had wanted to get away from. But the good news? He had my icyhot! And I got it back!

Saying goodbye to the Burgos cathedral on my way out of town!

Back on the trail! It was a good, but long day on the Camino. Surprisingly, after 3 days of rest, the day felt harder rather than easier. 

More arrow shots--we joked that almost all of my pictures varied only slightly generally keeping to the pattern of arrow, bridge, Camino marker, arrow, trail, cathedral, etc. 


A little church/monastery in the middle of nowhere

Ah, this was the first day of the Meseta--which is famed for being flat and boring. As someone who has lived in West Texas for years, I found the flatness and the horizon a bit comforting.  

I met a friendly Norwegian guy who just so happened to spend his winters in Houston



I saw a lady sitting on the side of the trail resting her feet and I thought that sounded like a good idea. Here you can also see the sad progression of my Chaco tan. 

Finally the town! It was a long, 30+ km day. I was so glad to see the town. 

Unfortunately there was nothing to Hontanas. I ended up having my worst cooking experience in the hostel there. I got veggies and pasta at the small shop and started cooking them up before realizing there was no salt in the albergue. There was no salt in the shop. In attempt to make things etible I bought a soup mix thinking I could add in some of the broth powder to make things a bit more flavorful. (Unfortunately I underestimated how difficult it would be to separate the powdered broth from the rice mixed in. Result? Uncooked rice in with the veggies.) Then halfway through cooking the electricity went out. I don't mind al-dente pasta, but this was not going to do. Finally it came back on and I finished my meal of bland zucchini and spaghetti. Surprisingly, the Korean guys in the kitchen took up my offer and cleaned up what I couldn't force down. 

These are your afternoon necessities: chocolate, neosporin, bandaids, antibacterial wipes, icyhot and painkillers and a safety pin. All you need for foot surgery/aches and pains. 

Hontanas is also where I began to realize that tiny Korean men can make the most outrageously loud noises in their sleep. The bunk beds were difficult to climb on to, and when I forgot to bring up my earplugs I just decided to do without them for the night rather than to get back down. Until I heard grandpa underneath me. Unbelievable. I think I was actually giggling it was so outrageously loud. Until I climbed back down for my earplugs!

No comments: