Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Return To An Old Standby: Week in Review!

Remember the Week in Review?

Yeah, hardly me neither. But seeing as I'm really behind on blogging and the posts I do have up are jumping around from month to month (and, full disclosure: I've got some time to kill), I thought this might be fun. So people, it's the Week in Review

  • Late this afternoon I'm taking a bus to the Montenegrin capital where I'll change over to an overnight train headed to Belgrade. I could take a bus straight from here (Kotor, Montenegro) but I am kind of excited about the train. It's supposed to be beautiful and the probability of me sleeping on the train vs. the bus seems much higher. 
  • I was going to go to Albania next...but getting their involved too many steps. I decided to go up to Serbia and then come back down. I'll go to Albania after Macedonia. 
  • Montenegro has some outrageously beautiful landscapes. 
  • Yesterday I did a "whole country tour." (That is when you know a country is small...) It went from 8 AM till 9 PM and included mountains, mausoleums, monasteries, vomiting (not me thankfully), a flat tire, lakes, a driver nicknamed General Patton, pilgrims and luxury resorts. It was a full day. 
  • I got really upset at the owner of the hostel in Kotor this morning. I'm non-confrontational. She was yelling. I left and wrote a negative online review. Who's got the power now?!
  • I've realized that telling myself that I will write a letter/review makes me feel better about situations whether I write them or not. 
  • Don't stay "Montenegro Hostel" brand hostels. Just sayin. 
  • My favorite part of the argument was when she said that if I wrote a negative review of the hostel she would use my passport details to "report me." To the Lonely Planet.
  • I climbed to the top of the Kotor's town walls. All 1500 steps.  
  • I finally got around to cooking the half bag of pasta I didn't realize I'd been carrying in my backpack for the last month. 
  • I saw a headline last night that said 31 Europeans had died of some rare strand of Ecoli. Even though it was mostly contained to Germany, I think I'll go back to my previous assertion that washing fruits and vegetables is a necessity not a luxury.   
  • I have been listening to some good music lately. For tonight's long bus ride I just bought Paolo Nutini's Sunny Side Up. I'm not sure it says "Belgrade" but it's pretty good.  
  • I took a few days off and lounged on the Croatian island of Korcula this week. I finally found a nice (and uncrowded!) sandy beach to swim and lounge at all day. The water was perfect, but apparently the sun was a little too strong. Hello sunburn. It didn't last long though and I'm officially the tannest I have ever been. (Which of course doesn't mean much.)   
OK, that's about all I have at the moment. Now I am going to randomly select a few pictures off my memory card for your viewing pleasure. And the winners are: 

Walking through local vineyards on my way to the beach on Korcula


A tiny island I visited in the Bay of Kotor


Kotor from above

The view part of the way up the 1500 steps of the town wall

Some Montenegrin mountain views...I'm a little dizzy just thinking back on it

OK, after sitting at this cafe for...4.5 hours my compy is dying! (aka, No spell check this time...) See you in Belgrade!



  

2 comments:

Krystal said...

Glad to see your smiling face...and to know that it is your writing this blog and not some crazy! haha Miss ya friend! :)

asia marie @ upward said...

nice to see your pretty face on here!