Friday, March 11, 2011

On The Road Again

Yesterday I saw a guy trying to parallel park in a tight spot. There were several guys watching and when he hit one of the cars they all yelled, opa! 

What is the point of this story? That's right--I am in Greece!

Kalimera (
good morning--one of the 3 Greek phrases I actually remember!) from Athens! 

I made it! My flights were long (I didn't get much sleep stuck in a middle seat between to guys for 8 hours),  but uneventful. It's funny to me when I have long travel days how when I finally get where I am going, it feels like a surprise to be there (I mean after about 20 hours in transit it should sink in that I am going somewhere different, no?). But I am so excited to be back in Athens. I was here in July and it feels both like I was just here and that I was here about 3 years ago. The best part is that I had a soft place to land when I got here--I am staying with my Couch Surfing friend Fylenia. I stayed with her last time I was in Athens, and even though we only met for a couple of days, she feels like an old friend. 

We spent the evening catching up on changes, chatting about travels (she recently spent a month in India!), playing with her Cretan puppy, drinking tea and chowing down on one of the largest and best salads I've ever eaten (including lettuce, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, raises, apples, sunflower seeds, and cheese--YUM!). She is such good company that I made it to almost midnight before I crashed. 

All I can say is that I am in a happy place. I woke up contently snuggled in my sleep sack (I'll explain more later) and under the covers (because people, winter has not left Greece! Thankfully Fylenia gave me a heads up to bring some warm layers. I even saw snow on the ground! But I hear the sun is on the way soon!) Anyway, it is good to be on the road again, and it's good to be back here in Athens. 

And one funny story to close: when I got to the metro station by Fylenia's house I needed to give her a call to let her know I was there. There's no public phone, so I just asked a nice looking lady if I could use  her phone. Her boyfriend took over, dialed the number up and was super nice. After he said, you are from Texas, right? Um, yes. How did he know that?! He said my accent gave me away. And then he asked where I was from? Dallas? Fort worth? Yes again! It was one of those moments where you look down to see if you forgot to take off your name tag. He said he was from Mykonos and meets a lot of tourists, so has learned accents. So to everyone who says I no longer have a Texan accent, apparently here is the proof! (As for me, I am still baffled!)

{Also, if you are wondering how I am sending out this blog, check this out: 


Yep, that's the (ridiculously beautiful and fancy) replacement computer (which hopefully my student insurance is going to cover!). I don't know if it will turn out to be a good or bad idea, but I have it here on the road with me--so looks like the blog might live on after all!}

No comments: